"The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them." - Jeff Jarvis, BuzzMachine, 07-10-2006

Friday, March 02, 2007

Yahoo Mail infected!

Yesterday when I was logging into my Yahoo Mail beta, the Symantec Antivirus popped up saying there is virus in one of the files which are getting loaded with mail login process and it deleted it! So far so good. I was very happy with the proactive protection given by symantec. But that deletion actually hindered yahoo from completing the login and show me my mails.

There I was sitting confused and trying to understand what happened. I did a second try with same results. Now this was something very difficult to digest. I can understand getting virus in the mails which come on yahoo and yahoo has a virus scanner to screen them. But virus in the yahoo page itself was something total unexpected.

I was in two minds whether to believe yahoo or symantec. I chose to take the safer path and believe symantec and wait for a day. Today when I login, I don't get the virus alert which tells me my choice was correct as the virus definition had not updated.

Anyways I can see my mails again, thanks to both yahoo and symantec. But this again reminds me don't believe anything on internet. Its a jungle out there.

P.S. Wish you and your family a very happy and colorful festival of Holi! Holi Hai!! Have a great weekend!

No comments: