"The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them." - Jeff Jarvis, BuzzMachine, 07-10-2006

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Being on the other side of the table

The table I am referring here is the interview table. Little more than a year back I was preparing for sitting on the other side of the table (interviewee side). Though there is a bit of lie in that, I never used to prepare for any interview. I liked to handle it as a extempore.

Recently I was asked to sit on interviewer’s side of the table. This I round I was bit anxious, since I will have to be the driver. It cannot be that the other person is asking questions I am just replying to those. I have to ask questions and verify if the answers are correct.

I prepared some questions on the domains I had to take interview using the good old Google and studied them the night before (same thing what my prospective candidates would be doing for their preparation). But the hardest part was to interview people one after another for the whole day and that too for two continuous day. I was worried about how to decide whether a particular person suitable to selected. My main concern was not to select a wrong candidate rather than missing a suitable person.

I was a bit jittery on the first day, but learned a lot. The second day I felt confident enough that I can handle the thing alone. I enjoyed the experience, maybe mainly because it was something different from my regular work.

Maybe I might get many more chances in future but this was the first time. And like all first-timers I will remember it for a long time.

1 comment:

sadsadas said...

Kalia,
Kitna aadmi the...aur kitne aadmi ko chunna :)