"The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them." - Jeff Jarvis, BuzzMachine, 07-10-2006

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Trip to Kolkata

Almost after 8 years (6 years according to my mom, still the debate is on with her :)!!!) I finally got a chance to visit the eastern part of the country.

The reason was my cousin's marriage. Wedding was in Vadodara and bou-bhaat (aka reception) was is Rishra, a suburb near Kolkata. Rishra is also my native place. My Thamma (paternal grandmother) and many relatives live there. It was quite a fun to visit after so many years and meeting so many people together.

Most exciting thing was I was not able to recognize a single person. After meeting so many people and the rounds of introduction I was the totally confused. Boy! I have quite a big family tree. Cousin's marriage gave a good opportunity to meet many of them.

In between all the wedding functions I did get some chance to visit Kolkata. Since my childhood days, I used to always love a drive through the city of Kolkata (Calcutta then) and crossing the Howrah Bridge was the main attraction. This time also it felt quite the same, not much seems to have changed. Thats one thing I love about this city. With so many old buildings in the city it looks like a one big historical monument, a heritage city.

This trip also gave me a chance to travel in train. Yes! I love long journeys in a train and after many years of traveling in flights this time I had the luxury of time to travel by the train. Enjoyed every bit of it! In fact I always believe slower the mode of transport more you enjoy the travel and the surroundings.

Phew! I traveled the entire cross-section of India. We traveled the western to eastern India. Now the trip has ended and its back to work from tomorrow.

No comments: